Monday, 23 January 2012

black to it

A couple of days ago I read this article about how and why wearing black can be addictive.  I couldn't agree more.  It's only recently that I have started breaking a out a bit of colour in my wardrobe.  A daredevil dash of mink here, some French navy there, a pale pink frock come spring, a white jean in summer....I know, I know I'm no Anna Dello Russo when in comes to embracing colour but Rebecca Willis is right, it's hard to escape the lure of black once it take you in it's sartorial clutches.  The truth is I have merely shifted my focus. I have only been able to stop wearing black so much since I started decorating with it, and now I have found myself enslaved to a whole other darkside.



It was this bedroom that convinced me to finally bite the bullet and go noir. When I told Allanis that I wanted to paint the living room wall black in our last flat he looked at me out of the corner of his eye and just gave the idea a non committal 'hmmmm.' I convinced him to let me get on with it with many reassurances of 'it's only paint, what's the worst that could happen?'  He loved it of course, but it seems that the worst that can actually happen is that your wife can become obsessed and now needs at least one verrrry very dark wall or painted furniture in every room. It must drive him to distraction but rather than making a room seem gloomy, or smaller or depressing, to me a splash of black paint makes things seem crisper and more vibrant.  I hung loads of pictures on my previous wall and every print popped against the black backdrop and made the whole room seem cosier and more interesting all at once.


I didn't want to just replicate our previous flat in the new house so the living room is going to get a lick of fresh Arctic white paint just as soon as we get a chance but the dining room is getting a black out. We don't eat out as often as we used to so I want to make that room as atmospheric as one of our favourite old haunts and for me, one of the best and most inexpensive ways to do that is a rich dark paint colour and some fabulous lighting.


It'll be a little while before that gets done so for now let's live vicariously people...





{images via: the decorista, from the right bank, estefania & vintage luxe} 

No comments:

Post a Comment